Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Personal Statement

My dad, Ed Yong, has a major impact on my life. He is the person who has the biggest influence in my life because he taught me how to successfully live by making wise decisions. I have grown up with him, but I have not always realized or appreciated him when it came to telling me what was best. However, I am grateful for him being there for me no matter what and showing me the right path to follow.
When I was little he was my role model. I admired him and looked up to him in everything he did; teaching me to ride a bike, working, cooking, helping me with homework and much more. Sadly, as the years passed, and as I grew up and saw more of the world and what it had to offer, I went through a stage where I thought he wasn’t as great as before. I realized that he wasn’t the most intelligent person on the planet. Through high school my math classes became more challenging and I saw that he did not remember how to do all the problems. I began to think less and less of him. However, soon I realized he is still my hero and knows a lot more about life than I do. I need to listen to my wise old man and not underestimate him.
He always has given me the best advice for decision making. He is supportive of me and all that I do. However, when I applied and was hired at Arby’s, to my surprise, he was not all that thrilled. I shortly found out his view on high school student jobs. He doesn’t want to see me focus all my time on a minimum wage job. He then explained to me that I will earn little spending money now, but if I stay focused in school I will have a job that will earn ten times the amount.
He reminds me every day that education is key, work hard in school and play later. When I go out with friends, he wants me to be safe. First, he likes to know that I am with trustworthy people that I can rely on; real friends not fake friends. Growing up under his views I know right from wrong, so I know who is a good influence and who isn’t. I have learned that I can have fun doing pretty much whatever, as long as I am with people I care about and who care about me. One concern my dad has is if I am out too late. He reminds me, “work now play later.” I see his point in him wanting my grades not to slip and for me not to fall behind. It is hard though when I do want to go out but I know I shouldn’t. From my dad I have learned not to procrastinate and to get my work done first, so then I can go out and not have to worry about cramming since I already have completed my assignments.
I am proud to have a father who cares so much about me. Even though he does not always say I love you every night to me, he shows me through his actions and I know that he does love me very much. My goal is to be more like him because I feel being successful is the key to a happy future. He is the wisest man that I know who is responsible, reliable, and respectful and I hope to be like him one day.

1 comment:

  1. Cindy: I tried tabbing the different paragraphs, but when I published it, the tabs went away. I cannot figure out how to make the tabs stay.

    ReplyDelete