Thursday, June 10, 2010

Residence Life

Through this program, Summer Scholars, I got the opportunity to experience living on a college campus. I had no idea what to expect because I have never really done anything like this. The very first day I was nervous about whom my roommates were going to be; if they were fun, loud, annoying, friendly, messing, or clean. I got to my room and no one was there, so I decided to just unpack and set up my room. When the other girls arrived they were all friendly, yet kept to themselves by not invading in on my room. One big concern that I had was how the shower situation was going to work. Luckily, my three roommates were all pretty cool about it. No one was the girl who was so selfish or self centered, by having to be the first one to take a shower, no matter what. We all respected one another and rotated on who was to go first.
Summers Scholars allowed me to expand my social network to many people from different schools. A lot of the students there were new people that all seemed nice that I wished to get to know better. I became very open, friendly, and outgoing toward the other summer scholars. Through different activities, such as the Camp Carol Joy Holling courses, I grew closer with different people in the program by building relationships through teamwork and trust. Everyone seemed to be pretty cool and funny; we were all looking to have a good time. I formed some lasting friendships by going to class, playing games, and eating together.
However, living on Scott Residence Hall was not just a vacation for me. It included early mornings, and school, which means homework. I participated in all of the fun activities that the RTAs planned for us, but during my free time I had to choose which was more important; having fun and becoming closer with my new friends or studying and completing my homework for class the next day. I ended up going to my room and studying for class first. Consequently, if I completed all of my homework before I went out to have fun, I could stay out as long as I wanted and not worry about falling asleep or running out of time to finish my homework. During my stay at the Scott Residence Hall, I met many people that I may have never known, if it wasn’t for this program. I am glad that I had this opportunity to experience living on a college campus; it helped me have a better understanding for college and helped me grow as a person too.

No comments:

Post a Comment